Last Updated on
Before one knows what exactly one has to do to earn the CIA Certification, first lets understand what CIA Is?
A Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) is a certification offered to accountants who conduct internal audits. The Certified Internal Auditor designation is ISSUED by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA). Credential of CIA is accepted worldwide.
CIA aspiring candidates before one plan to give the CIA exam has to submit the necessary Documents as per the guidelines of IIA. The following link is to be used to upload the Documents Certification Document Portal.
CIA certification requirements before taking your career to the next step.
CIA candidates are required to have a 4-year post-secondary degree (or higher). This degree must come from an accredited university that is recognized by the IIA. . For the details check The IIA’s Certification Education Requirement Exceptions FAQ and Application.
As proof of completed education, you will be required to show either:
· A copy of your degree or official transcripts
· A letter from your university confirming your degree
· A letter from evaluation services that confirms the level of your degree
If your name has changed since your university graduation, you will also be required to show your legal name change documents.Until recently, the IIA did not accept any form of work experience in place of education. This has changed,and candidates are now eligible to take the CIA exam if they meet one of the following conditions:
· Have attained 2 years post-secondary education plus 5 years of verified work experience in internal auditing or an equivalent, or
· Can demonstrate 7 years of verified work experience in internal auditing or equivalent
One you complete the education requirement, next step towards CIA IS work experience requirement.
A candidate without having any wok experience can register and take the exam, but he/she will not be certified until they meet the following work experience requirements:
- Candidates with a Master’s degree – 12 months of internal auditing experience
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree – 24 months of internal auditing experience
- Candidates with an Associate’s Degree, three A-Level Certificates, grade C or higher – 60 months of internal auditing experience
The IIA will also consider the equivalents of the degree levels and internal auditing experience.
Proof of education and work experience are not required if you are :
- A qualified member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- An active and licensed U.S. Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
The IIA approves candidate’s applications for four years. If a candidate did not complete the certification process within four years, he or she loses any fees paid and any exams passed. There is also a one-time 12-month extension available for a fee
Each CIA aspiring candidate would won’t to clear CIA in the first attempt keeping in mind the value of clearing the exam in first attempt as well as huge cost incurred in doing the course. As clearing all the three stage of CIA is no joke, to reach your goal, all u need is a good Review course, experience guide who will work along with you until you have the final CERTIFICATE OF CERTIFIED INTERNAL AUDITOR in yours hands.
This blog is written by Rachana Agarwal